Our Honorary Treasurer has resigned, effective end March 2012, and a replacement is urgently needed.
The Treasurer of River Nile Learning Centre (RNLC) is a member of the Committee of Management and is expected to contribute to policy development. The main accounting tasks include:
- Keeping the accounts (currently on MYOB supplemented by Excel)
- Lodging statutory returns, e.g. quarterly BAS returns
- Preparing annual financial report and arranging its audit
- Attending to banking (including internet transfers and receipt of donations)
- Running a payroll function for 5-10 employees
- Maintaining a fixed asset register
- Preparing budgets and monthly reports for Committee meetings
- Contributing to preparation of grant applications and reports to major donors
- Assisting with administration (e.g. creating and updating a procedures manual; maintaining an address database)
River Nile Learning Centre was founded in 2006 to address the educational difficulties experienced by children aged 15 and over with minimal formal schooling, of refugee families, particularly from Sudan and the Horn of Africa, who have recently arrived in Melbourne’s West. The primary function of the Centre is providing full-time intensive literacy and numeracy programs for these children.
The entity is a not-for-profit charity:
- incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act (1981) (Vic),
- registered for GST, and
- endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as Income-Tax Exempt & a Deductible Gift Recipient.
The income is around $200,000 p.a., from donations, grants and funding from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Victoria. The records are primarily located at the Centre in North Melbourne but most of the work can be done from a home computer.
The work would suite a retired accountant, who would find their skills greatly valued by the Committee.
The position is honorary but the reward is knowing you are making a real contribution to improving the lives of some very disadvantaged young people.
We would be very grateful to find someone prepared to become our new Treasurer.
For more information about the position or to offer your services, please contact Judie Bainbridge, Director on (03) 9329 8425 or email email@example.com